Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Slide Staining Correction

We continued to work on stains and counter stains in lab tonight. I am proud to report that all my slides turned out nicely. However I need to correct the things I said about inks. I had orignially stated that inks had either a positive or a negative ion, in actuality the inks that we use for staining have both a positive ion and a negative ion. In acidic stains the color is in the negative ion and in basic stains the color is in the positive ion. So, when staining a slide of bacteria, which has a slightly negative charge, a basic stain would be used. And with a positivly charged organism the acid stains.

2 Comments:

Blogger BamaGirl said...

Sorry to tell you, but this is pretty boring stuff. I even took microbiology and I'm not too interested. I guess it's good that you are excited by staining. It bodes well for your career as a nurse.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Lebee said...

Hey Bama, let me at least imagine that I have an exciting future ahead of me. I am already trying to find ways out of actually having to go to nursing school and become a nurse. Sigh, my pride gets in the way and life is just too interesting to be stuck in a hospital all day.

8:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home