Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Microbiology Lab

Well exciting news. I made two cultures of E. Coli & Serratia marcescens on a petri dish implementing the quadrant streak method A and the radiant streak culture technique. Supposedly the way that you "smear" the bacteria onto the nutrient rich agur can affect the results making them more or less readable. So, why you ask did I choose the quadrant streak method A and the radiant streak method? (oh, you didn't ask?, well never mind I'll tell you anyway) I chose these particular culture techniques for their inherint artistic quality. After all, if you are going to grow bacteria it may as well be in an attractive pattern. After careful study of the four choices we were given, I was able to narrow it down to three (I discarded streak method b as being too disorganized to the eye), finally after realizing that the T method, while aesthetically pleasing in its neat organization, didn't really "speak" to me I was able to pass over it as well. Thus I was left with the two techniques listed above. Method A looks a bit like a work of modern art with groupings of 4-5 lines circling the plate in an ever closing space while the radiant technique is sort of the sun rise look, with the streaks flowing from a horizontal line upward to the top of the dish. Quite uplifing. I won't know until after the incubation time if I've managed to grow some nice colonies of the bacteria. I'll keep you posted though.

10 Comments:

Blogger BamaGirl said...

Oh, you make me miss micro lab! I was the bomb at growing cultures! Fun stuff, isn't it?

9:27 PM  
Blogger Lebee said...

Hi Bamagirl, You are my most faithful commentator. I am enjoying the lab more than I expected. Was your class very difficult? So far the stuff we do is SO simple, I wonder if I'd be ready for graduate school.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That strikes me as being funny, but then again I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you interpret "Microtubule-mediated transport of organelles and localization of beta-catenin to the future dorsal side of Xenopus eggs"? Ang

2:01 PM  
Blogger Lebee said...

Well, I can tell you all of it except "beta-catenin" ...what is this from?

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Case For A Creator by Lee Strobel. It's an article title written by a scientist he interviewed. It doesn't have a thing to do with the book; I just wondered what the heck it meant... Ang

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lebee! I just bookmarked your site so I should be more of a regular visitor. See you soon!

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog again... I loose all kinds of things, including URLs...

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you are shorter than me-it obviously meant so much to you.
:.(

:)

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes. Lab can be fun...or not. Well, is this stuff edible? That could make a ton of difference. You say beta-carotin. That is found in carrots. Yum.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess no carrot fans here...rough crowd.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home