Thursday, September 01, 2005

Jokes on paper

It is definitly a mistake to make jokes on email to people you don't know very well, epecially if they possess the grey matter in much larger quantities or much smaller quantities than you do yourself. Too much opportunity for mistrued interpretations. The problem? There is no way to impart tone or a smile or a sence of the ironic in print. Certain web pages let you choose from an assortment of emotion faces, or whatever they are called. (my avoidance of web ligo has left me bereft of the proper word for these idiotic yellow faces that punctuate sentences followed by LOL or some other such flipant abbreviation. But back to the point). I know this. I know that I have stuck the proverbial foot in the mouth on numerous occasions in my attempts to be funny over email (in fact, I seem to do it in real life on occasion as well) yet, I am ever the flighty person who looks in the mirror only to walk away and forget what she looks like. Forgetting my lessons learned, making them lessons unlearned, I try once again to impart my great humor and wittiness to the unsuspecting victims, only to find that I never hear from them again or if I do it is to let me know of their less than amused perpective towards my insouciant comments. Sigh.....another one bites the dust.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jokes usually don't work well with all that explanation. Did you hear that one about the expository preacher?

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home